Tanti Technology

My photo
Bangalore, karnataka, India
Sandeep Kumar | Founder, Tanti Technologies At Tanti Technologies, I share practical knowledge, hands-on tutorials, and real-world solutions across Python, SQL, Docker, Kubernetes, CI/CD, AWS, Azure, Machine Learning, Generative AI, and Agentic AI. My mission is to simplify complex technologies and provide actionable insights that help developers, engineers, and businesses learn faster, build better, automate smarter, and innovate with confidence. 🚀 Learn • Build • Automate • Innovate Follow Tanti Technologies for practical technology insights and next-generation AI solutions.

Friday, 8 November 2013

How to move a cdrom from one LPAR to another LPAR?


1. Find the lpar which is currently holding the cdrom:

Login to the HMC, Select the Managed System and open "Properties", Look for the I/O device with the description "Other Mass Storage Controller" and read the "Owner" field. This will show the LPAR currently owning that device.


2. On the currently assigned lpar:

1. Find the parent adapter of the CD device:

$ lsdev -Cl cd0 -F parent
ide0

2. Find the slot containing the IDE bus:

$ lsslot -c slot
# Slot Description Device(s)
U787B.001.DNWG2AB-P1-T16 Logical I/O Slot pci1 ide0
U9133.55A.105C2EH-V7-C0 Virtual I/O Slot vsa0
U9133.55A.105C2EH-V7-C2 Virtual I/O Slot ent0
U9133.55A.105C2EH-V7-C3 Virtual I/O Slot vscsi0

so PCI1 is the slot containing the IDE adapter and CD drive.

3. Remove the slot from this host:

# rmdev -dl pci1 -R
cd0 deleted
ide0 deleted
pci1 deleted

3: Moving the cdrom to the target lpar using HMC:


Login to the HMC
Go to lpar 
(select) Dynamic lpar 
(select) Physical Adapters
(select) Move or remove


Now one box will open, on there you have to select the (cdrom) adapter to remove and provide the destination server details on the "Move to partition" option.



4: Verfication on the target lpar:


Now login to the target lpar and verfiy the cdrom has been moved successfully, with the help of below steps.

#cfgmgr
#lsdev -Cc cd0   ("cd0 available" -Here we have to confirm that the cdrom has been moved)
#mkdir /cdrom
#mount -v cdrfs -o ro /dev/cd0 /cdrom
#umount /cdrom

No comments:

Post a Comment